Thursday, March 27, 2014

app download statistics

Currently, I write my app targeted at windows phone 7.1, which means it runs on all windows phones out there. There are some nice new features in the windows phone 8 sdk, and it seems like a lot of effort to run multiple versions, so I have been thinking about just ditching wp7 and building only for wp8. Before doing that, however, I thought it would be nice to have some actual numbers on what phones are running my app.

I thought I'd have to add this in my own analytics call, but it turns out the Dev Center offers an excel export of your download stats that includes the phone OS Version for each purchaser (along with other info like manufacturer, mobile operator, phone language, and somehow even user gender and age group). So I downloaded that report for the last year and found 

- 140 users with wp7
- 225 users with wp8
- 78 users with unspecified OS versions (not sure how that works)

looks like over a third of my users are still on 7, so I should definitely make sure the app still works for them!

No comments: